Establishing a closure committee for implementation at the asset level has emerged as best practice to confirm that the closure planning process is carried out in accordance with company standards and legal requirements, and that it is fully incorporated into operational planning.
To help with change management consider:
- Providing documentation of trade-off studies and risk assessments conducted during the mine life
- Ensuring documentation identifies the chosen closure activities and also the reasons that other measures were not used
- Monitoring data from operations and closure that should be managed in searchable data bases with various site staff familiar with their operation
- Keeping detailed records of all progressive closure
- Preparing as-built drawings of all mine facilities and closure works