Tool: Considerations in Developing Closure Activities for Transversal Issues
There are aspects of closure planning that cover all components of the site. Social transition activities are undertaken to facilitate or ease the social transition from the operational to post- closure phase, and apply to the whole mining operation.
This tool provides basic background for consideration in developing closure activities for transversal issues, as well as some suggestions on where to find additional support.
Consider social transition activities
Consider the demographic profile of affected stakeholders and their existing livelihood strategies to identify opportunities specific to different categories of stakeholders
Consider the impacts of:
- Social transition activities (p102)
- Water management (p103)
- Acid Rock Drainage and Metal Leaching (ARD/ML) (p105)
- Water treatment (p106)
- Ecosystem establishment (p107)
- Water management also needs to be addressed on a site-wide basis and may also have off-site implications
- Ecosystem establishment of the site through techniques such as revegetation is also addressed as a transversal issue